Faulty Fireplace Likely Culprit in Late Afternoon Blaze in Wichita Falls
A fire on the northwest side of Wichita Falls did significant damage to a home.
Six units responded to the structure fire in the 500 block of Barker just after 4 pm. The fire appears to have been the result of a defect in a fireplace.
Battalion Chief Mike Davis tells News Talk 1290 the fire appears to have started in the fire place and spread to the attic of the home. The homeowner had started a fire in the homes fireplace this morning and the blaze had apparently smoldered in the wall behind the fireplace all day, before breaking out into the attic. Davis says there was significant damage to that area of the home.
No one was injured. No damage estimates are available at this time.