4th In The Falls
Due to extremely dry weather and high fire danger the rescheduled “4th in the Falls” celebration has been moved again. The event had been rescheduled for Saturday, September 3rd but is now scheduled to Saturday, December 31st. After carefully monitoring current and long-range weather forecasts the decision was made by City staff to move the event to adhere to current burn bans, firework restrictions and protect the health and safety of citizens who may have attended the event.
“This is an excellent opportunity to provide the city with an exciting New Year’s Eve celebration,” said MPEC Director, Bob Sullivan. “Rather than cancelling the event due to the current weather conditions we’re moving the festivities to News Year’s Eve, which will provide families throughout the area with an exciting event to ring in 2012,” said Sullivan.
Also in the consideration to reschedule the event was a sincere desire to curtail any fireworks use outside the fireworks display that was planned at MPEC. City staff did not want the public to be left with the impression that fireworks restrictions had been lifted.
“The conditions for a significant fire event have not changed,” said Assistant Fire Chief William Weske. “Just yesterday our department battled a 30 acre blaze near Tanglewood. 100 residents had to be evacuated and homes were threatened. We just can’t take a chance with someone feeling that it’s alright to use fireworks during this time,” said Weske.
Current plans for the December 31st event will maintain the original schedule, children’s activities, food and drink opportunities and fireworks display. The live music performances will change and be announced as the event date nears.