Young Adults Prefer ‘Friendsgiving’ Over ‘Thanksgiving’
Go figure – millennials would rather hang out with their friends than their family during the holiday season. Sorry if I come off as snarky, it’s just that I believe most people would rather hang out with friends than family because, well, unlike family, you choose your friends.
A study conducted by OnePoll, on behalf of Sabra polled 2,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 38 and found that 68 percent prefer ‘Friendsgiving’ as their autumnal festivity.
Here are the main reasons why:
1. Friendsgiving is more social.
2. They get to avoid personal questions from their family.
3. They feel less pressure to impress their guests.
4. They don't have to watch what they say at the dinner table.
5. They don't have to worry about offending a relative.
In other words, young people (and most people of all ages I know) would rather avoid conflict.