Wearing A Cowboy Hat In Texas? Better Know The Rules …
I think they actually issue cowboy hats at birth in Texas, males and females alike really love these things. Yep, even I have one ... 2 actually.
If you're going to pop one of these guys on your noggin, be sure you're aware of these do's and dont's.
The Rules of Wearing a Cowboy Hat in Texas
Consider this sort of a "public service announcement". Knowing these things could help you avoid some trouble as Texans love their hats and don't tolerate violations of hat etiquette.
- Don't touch anyone else's hat without permission. Big no - no here. Along with motorcycles and significant others, there's a strict "hands off" policy here.
- Take your hat off when inside. The only exceptions are elevators, lobbies and building corridors.
- You should also remove your hat during special events like the National Anthem, passing of the flag, while praying, when you meet somebody, or during weddings or funerals.
- Hold your hat by the top, not the brim. When you set it down, leave it upside down so you don't bend the brim and to let it air out.
- What it's made of is totally up to you. Felt, straw, whatever ... it's your call.
- Always "tip" your hat to a lady.
Know of Any Other Rules?
There are probably some other rules but those basics should keep you out of trouble. Read a few more here and also learn how a cowboy hat can tell you that your lady is ready for some lovin'.
Top Cowboy and Cowgirl Boot Brands in Texas
Gallery Credit: Billy Jenkins
10 Real Texas Laws You Won’t Believe Are On The Books
Gallery Credit: Piggie