A mix up with pool chemicals sent five people to the hospital and caused the Iowa Park Municipal Pool and Spray Park to close down for a few hours Monday afternoon.

Jerry Flemming, Iowa Park City Manger, told KAUZ that two chemicals came into contact when they shouldn't have. Powdered versions of hydrochloric acid and chlorine mixed with a little bit of water and the result was a highly toxic gas. Four people using the pool and one city employee inhaled some of the gas and required medical attention.

Flemming says the pool staff has been trained to deal with most situations, but this required them to change some of their training procedures and be more prepared for issues with multiple people being affected.

The pool closed down for about two hours Monday to deal with the gas issue, but was able to re-open around 6pm that evening. Flemming says the pool is now safe for all swimmers and employees.